what you'll be doing
1. MEETING: We’ll meet you down in Summerleaze Beach car park, where we have our mobile surf school unit.
2. HEALTH AND SAFETY CHECK: We’ll check the Health & Safety form you have filled out and advise you appropriately.
3. KITTING OUT: We’ll kit you out with a board, a warm well fitting wetsuit and accessories (hat, boots and gloves if necessary) and a high visibility identity vest.
4. CHANGING: Personal belongings can be left in our secure mobile unit (at your own risk).
5. WARM UP: We’ll then walk down on to the sand where you’ll be taken through a gentle warm up and surf safety information.
6. DRY LAND COACHING: This vital part of the lesson aims to give you all the basic information such as how to catch waves and how to carry your board safely. We will go on to demonstrate how to successfully stand up and get you to practice the techniques before entering the water.
7. WATER COACHING: We’ll demonstrate all we have shown you on dry land, in the surf, then re-cap safety issues and get you in the water. We aim to get you standing for a short amount of time on your first session (on average about 80% of people will stand during their first lesson with us).
9. SUPERVISING AND REFINING: While you’re in the water your coaches will help you constantly, giving you tips advice and lots of encouragement.
10. FINAL TIPS: Towards the end of the session we’ll leave the water for a debrief where we can discuss next steps and things to practice. Then it’s time to change into your dry clothes and head off for a coffee or a beer!
6. DRY LAND COACHING: We’ll then move on to a dry sand coaching session with explanations, demonstrations and student practice guided by our coaches. Exactly what we teach you will depend on what you hope to get out of the lesson and whether or not you want to work on specific manoeuvres. On some sessions we may get you in the water first to get an exact idea of your ability.
7. WHAT YOU’LL LEARN: There are so many areas we can cover with intermediate & advanced surfers. These include specific manoeuvres like bottom turns, top turns, cutbacks, floaters or re-entries. We can also offer advice on any part of your surfing – from surf fitness to nutrition and mental fitness and fine tune your manoeuvres.
8. FINAL TIPS: Towards the end of the session we’ll leave the water for a debrief where we can discuss next steps and things to practice. Then it’s time to change into your dry clothes and head off for a coffee or a beer!